On the state level, HFM is monitoring the following issues:
- The Medicaid carve-out for clotting factor
- Adequate Medicaid pharmacy reimbursement for bleeding disorder therapies
- Step therapy or “fail first” cost control practices
- Prior authorization process
- Michigan’s Children’s Special Health Care Services program
On the federal level, HFM works with the National Hemophilia Foundation and the Hemophilia Federation of America to stay aware of any changes that may impact our community. HFM is in constant communication with NHF and HFA policy staff members and represents Michigan at NHF’s federal legislative advocacy day, Washington Days.
Lansing Days, HFM’s annual state legislative day, provides an opportunity for constituents to educate their legislators on the needs and special interests of the bleeding disorders community. Lansing Days has been a staple of our foundation since 2005 and has grown to include an overnight stay and in-depth training the evening prior to meeting with legislators. Changes to health care have are critical to those with chronic conditions. It is imperative that the bleeding disorders community stays engaged in the political process in order to advocate for the specific needs of our community.
Stay involved and join HFM as we travel to the state capital to advocate for our community!
If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Procario, Advocacy|Communications Manager at email@example.com or 734-961-3516!
- Take HFM’s Access to Treatment Survey to help HFM stay updated on the access to care issues affecting our community.
- NEW this year, attend Coffee with Your Legislator events. Contact Sarah Procario for more information!
- Contact your state representatives and state senator and let your voice be heard.
- Attend HFM’s annual state legislative day, Lansing Days.
- Join HFM’s statewide advocacy committee to support increased advocacy activities year round. Our advocacy committee includes community members, NHF/HFA representatives, government relations specialists, and other external stakeholders and meets once a month.
- Do you have a specific insurance issue? Contact HFA’s Project CALLS below:
Questions or comments?
Contact Sarah Procario at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734.961.351